''I think the matter has gone too far. This whole issue is damaging for Pakistan cricket so I hope that a compromise is reached,'' Younis, a senior member of the current Pakistan team, said.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had imposed a five-year ban on Akhtar from all national and international matches on charges of a series of disciplinary allegations.
''Of course he is my friend, my senior and I have played alongside him for years, so my sympathies are with him.
''I think the player (Akhtar) must think about his problems and the board must talk to him and solve this matter,'' Younis added.
Akhtar's problem however, continued to grow after the ban.
The PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf has demanded 200 million rupees (three million dollars) in damages from the speedster for alleged defamation.
Meanwhile in India, the Indian Premier League (IPL) yesterday confirmed that Akhtar will not be allowed to play in its Twenty20 tournament unless the ban imposed on him is lifted.
The middle-order batsman further added that Pakistan cricket should avoid such controversies and there are other important issues to look for.
''We have too many issues in Pakistan cricket. Teams are not coming to Pakistan (due to security fears) and issues like Akhtar's will further hit Pakistan cricket,'' he said.