Lahore: An International Cricket Council investigator has questioned Shoaib Akthar over the fast bowler's claims that he was offered money to throw matches, Pakistani sources said Tuesday.
Akthar, 32, was banned for five years a week ago for criticising the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). He later alleged that that he had refused offers of bribes to underperform in international games during his career.
"Alan Peacock of the ICC Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) interviewed Akhtar and some other players on Sunday and will make recommendations to the ICC over any further action," a PCB source told AFP.
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, did not identify the other players.
Pakistan's representative in the ACSU, retired colonel Nuruddin Khawaja, assisted Peacock in the investigation, said the sources.
Akhtar in a television interview last week claimed he was offered and refused money to throw matches during the 2003 World Cup in South Africa and in India. He did not say when the alleged rigging incident happened in India.
The claims came after the PCB banned him over a series of breaches of the players' code of conduct, including publicly criticising the board for not giving him one of 15 central contracts.