IPL: Aussie cricketers may skip second edition

Published: Tuesday, April 22, 2008, 3:35 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) has indicated that its players could miss the lucrative Indian Premier League's (IPL) second edition because of a fixture clash with its rescheduled tour of Pakistan.

The world champions were due to tour Pakistan in March and April this year, but pulled out following security concerns.

CA said yesterday it would play five one-day internationals and one Twenty20 match against Pakistan in April, 2009 - the same time the second edition of the IPL is to be played.

CA operations manager Michael Brown has said the fixture clash was likely to 'inhibit' Australian prospects of appearing in the cash rich tournament.

''Playing (in Pakistan) probably inhibits players playing in the IPL (next year),'' Brown said.

He also added that the players, who are centrally contracted to CA, would be expected to meet their obligation to play for their country.

''Under their contracts players have to make themselves available to play for Australia and so far we have not had any problems,'' he said.

The absence of Australia's top stars including Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds and Michael Hussey - who are competing in India at present - would come as a major blow to organisers of the IPL.


Write Comments