An official inquiry into the drugs case against Pakistan paceman Mohammad Asif in Dubai is over, with the findings handed over to the attorney general, a Pakistani cricket official said Sunday.
Asif, 25, was seized at Dubai airport last Sunday while returning home from India after featuring in a domestic cricket event.
He appeared before a Dubai prosecutor Thursday on charges of possessing an illegal substance. Asif has said he is innocent.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official Nadeem Akram told AFP on Sunday that the attorney general may "either frame charges against Asif or may announce the decision on Monday."
Akram, who was speaking to AFP from Dubai by telephone, said he had met Asif on Sunday and found him to be in "high spirits".
"I met Asif as he needed some money and he was still in high spirits as he is innocent," said Akram.
PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi said Thursday the board had received medical reports on Asif ordered by Dubai authorities, but he could not not disclose details.
"Asif has earlier said he had been getting some herbal medicines. I have heard these reports. Sometimes hakims give medicines in which sometimes there are substances which are banned," Naghmi told reporters.
"But this is not the issue. The main issue is to get his release. We respect their procedure (in Dubai). We are confident the truth will come out and there will be justice."
Opening bowler Asif was dropped from the Pakistan squad for the tri-series which opened in Bangladesh on Sunday and replaced by Sohail Khan.
Asif was banned for one year after he tested positive for the steroid nandrolone in October 2006. Fellow paceman Shoaib Akhtar was banned for two years on the same charge.
The bans were however lifted on appeal two months later. Akhtar meanwhile is appealing a lifetime ban imposed in April for repeated disciplinary problems.