The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) however, played down the incident and denied that Altaf was sacked for leaking information.
"Altaf's services were no more required but I would not say he was accused of leakage to the media," PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi told the local media here.
While the PCB claimed that it chose not to extend Salim's contract, which is due to expire on July 7, the former fast bowler said his contract was valid till the 2011 World Cup which is to be organised jointly by Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Acording to Salim, PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf called him to his office at the Gaddafi Stadium here at 1.30pm on Thursday and asked him to resign.
Salim alleged that the chairman accused him of leaking confidential news to the media and also produced audio cassettes of his telephonic conversations with some of his friends.
"I told the chairman that it is illegal to tap one's phone unlawfully and that I was not privy to any sensitive information pertaining to the PCB as I had been sidelined for the past one year," Salim was quoted as saying by the Dawn.
"I refused to resign and told the chairman to sack me and give me a charge sheet. Later, the security was called to throw me out and the chairman asked me never to enter the PCB offices again. He also impounded the official car I was using," he added.
"Everything is not ok and the present government should inquire into the incident as I am a well respected former Test cricketer who served Pakistan with his blood."
The spat beetween the PCB and Salim is the latest controversy to hit Pakistan cricket after pace spearhead Mohammed Asif was detained at the Dubai airport after an illegal substance was found in his wallet.