An appeal tribunal Saturday reduced Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's five-year ban to 18 months and imposed a seven million rupee (105,000 dollar) fine.
"We have in consensus decided that the ban on Akhtar is reduced to one-and-a-half years and impose a fine of seven million rupees," the three-member tribunal chief Justice Aftab Farrukh told reporters.
He said one member of the tribunal suggested scrapping the ban but increasing the financial penalty to 20 million rupees.
The 32-year-old paceman was banned for five years on a series of disciplinary charges on April 1. The ban was last month suspended for 30 days to allow the fiery paceman to play in a domestic event in India.
The judge said Akhtar could appeal against the decision.
"It is up to him to appeal. We have given a decision after thoroughly examining the case and to the best of our conscience," he said.
One of the three members of the tribunal, former Test cricketer Haseeb Ahsan, could not attend the meeting due to illness, but gave his consent by telephone.
Another member, Naveed Choudhry, said he wanted Akhtar to play after paying a hefty fine.
"Since Akhtar plays for Pakistan, I wanted him to play but pay a hefty fine of twenty million, but the other two members thought otherwise," said Choudhry.
Akhtar said he was upset by the decision.
"I am disappointed at the decision because I want to play for my country," Akhtar told AFP. "Once my lawyer gets the detailed judgement then only we will decide about our step."
Akhtar publicly criticised the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in January after failing to make a shortlist of 15 players who were offered central contracts.
He was already on two years' probation for hitting teammate Mohammad Asif with a bat days before the Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa last September.
"It is like giving half life to someone dying," said Akhtar, who banned for 13 one-day internationals for hitting Asif.
Last month the PCB softened its stance over the player following pressure from the government and the board's chairman Nasim Ashraf withdrew a defamation suit against him.
Ashraf had sued Akhtar after the bowler alleged in an interview that the board chief had demanded payments from Akhtar's contract to play in the Indian tournament.
Ashraf dropped the suit after the player made a public apology.
Akhtar, who has played 46 Tests and 138 one-day internationals since 1997, is yet to play for Pakistan this year.
The temperamental fast bowler was also involved in a doping scandal in 2006. He and fellow paceman Asif tested positive for nandrolone and were handed bans, which were subsequently lifted on appeal.