Karachi: Lahore Highcourt has summoned the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to explain a ban on paceman Shoaib Akthar, a lawyer said on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old Akhtar lodged an appeal with Lahore HC on Tuesday against an 18-month ban for indiscipline. The ban was originally for five years but was reduced last month.
"The court heard the petition and has given an urgent notice to the respondent, the PCB, to appear before it on July 4," PCB lawyer Taffazul Hussain Rizvi told AFP.
Akthar was banned for five years by a PCB disciplinary committee in April for several incidents of indiscipline and for violating the conditions of a two-year probation period imposed for hitting a teammate with a bat.
The ban followed Akhtar's public criticism of the PCB after he was dropped from a list of 15 players who were given central contracts in January.
However, an appellate committee reduced the suspension to 18 months and imposed a fine of seven million rupees (115,000 dollars) in June.
In October last year, Akhtar was banned for 13 matches and fined 3.4 million rupees for hitting partner Mohammad Asif with a bat just days before the Twenty20 World Cup in September in South Africa.
Akhtar, who has played 46 Tests and 138 one-day internationals for Pakistan, has not played any international matches this year.