हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

PCB distances itself from dope-tainted Asif

Published: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 15:43 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Lahore: Adopting a tough stance on the Mohammed Asif issue, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has stated that it will not seek to bail out the controversial fast bowler.

''Our policy about dope offenders is very clear,'' PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi said. ''The board will not provide any kind of help to Asif and he will have to fight his case himself.''

The PCB had earlier come to the rescue of Asif after he was banned for testing positive for the banned anabolic steroid nandrolone along with fellow speedster Shoaib Akhtar during the ICC Champions Trophy in 2006.

The board also pulled out all stops to bail out the 25-year-old during his 19-day detention in Dubai last month for possessing a banned drug.

But it is a different story this time round with the PCB keen to avoid any negative publicity.

''We cannot afford any more negative publicity,'' Naghmi said.

Naghmi also informed that the PCB has also decided to drop Asif from the 30-man squad for the Champions Trophy.

''Asif has failed a dope test so he cannot play for Pakistan till that matter is resolved,'' he stated.

Agencies 

Write Comments