Though the chance of adding the Champions Trophy to his pool-room cabinet could spur Hayden into saying yes, he said: "I think that provided we had our own information that came back from security briefs, and that information said there are dangers, as there are among any places that you travel on Earth - but I think it''s fine to go … I would take that on board, definitely, before I made a decision (to tour Pakistan)."
An International Cricket Council (ICC) decision on whether strife-torn Pakistan will host the event in September is due in days.
If Pakistan's bid fails, Sri Lanka will be the venue, although bitter fighting between the government of that country and the rebel Tamil Tigers has resulted in more than 5000 deaths this year alone.
The ICC has already admitted it cannot guarantee the safety of players.
Hayden was quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald as saying that he would assess the information from experts on the situation in Pakistan before making a final decision.
He said the Champions Trophy, regarded as a compressed version of the World Cup, was a glaring omission from his trophy cabinet.
"We're on the eve of competing in what's known as the second World Cup," Hayden said. "We don't want to walk away. It's certainly one that I want to be involved in if it means that my safety is not compromised."
Cricket Australia (CA), the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) and the Australian playing group will meet to discuss the matter before a final call is made.