हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

BCCI vetoes Laxman's Nottingham move

Published: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 1:30 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail



London: India batsman VVS Laxman's planned move to Nottinghamshire has fallen through after the deal was vetoed by the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI), the English county said.

The 33-year-old had been expected to arrive at Trent Bridge in August after Nottinghamshire had received a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the BCCI two weeks ago.

However, the BCCI have subsequently withdrawn the NOC by e-mail and Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell said the county will now search for a replacement player.

"We followed correct procedures to complete the deal with the approval of the BCCI and it is extremely disappointing that they have reversed their stance," Newell said.

"We were very surprised to learn about the possibility of the deal collapsing in the media in the first instance.

"The players, management and supporters were looking forward to VVS joining Notts and now we have to pursue alternative players."

Shame on you, BCCI: In a move aimed as a snub to the so-called rebel league ICL, The BCCI vetoed VVS's Notts move since the English county side features the players - Chris Cairns, Andre Adams and skipper Chris Read - involved in ICL.

Earlier BCCI has barred Piyush Chawla from playing for Hampshire and ironically its captain Shane Warne was allowed to play in IPL.

It is shame that BCCI stoops to such an unfathomable low just to quell its unfounded fears about ICL's threats to its authority.

It (Body of Cynics, Corrupts and Indulgents) cares little about the game, the players and the cricket followers.

Agencies

Write Comments