While some players, particular allrounder Andrew Symonds, have expressed reservations about going to Pakistan, the now retired Gilchrist felt the group would likely do what they're advised.
"I was speaking to a couple of (players) yesterday. There's a lot of uncertainty and there always seems to be these big decisions to be made," Gilchrist said.
"It is an important time for cricket, everyone has identified that - players and administrators.
"But as was the case throughout my career, you just take the advice of the experts in the security field and that's what CA and the players association are continuing to do and the players would trust that opinion, I have no doubt about that."
An International Cricket Council task force met senior Australian cricket identities in Melbourne last Friday to brief them on the latest security measures for the tournament.
The task force has also met with NZ cricketing representatives and were scheduled to brief South African and English figures, with the latter to be briefed later on Monday.
Cricket Australia maintained a "wait and see" attitude and were expecting to be briefed by the ICC over the next few days.
While Sri Lanka has been suggested as an alternative host for the Champions Trophy, CA officials said they had "no consideration of an alternative venue at this stage" and were still awaiting further feedback from the ICC.
CA acting chief executive officer Michael Brown stressed the players' individual opinion on whether they would travel to Pakistan had not yet been canvassed.
"The important issue now is for us to work with the ICC, we are not in the business of going to players and asking their answers prior to us making a decision," Brown said.
"I work very closely with Paul Marsh, the Australian Cricketers' Association chief executive, and individual players from time to time, but we are not deliberately interfering with the players' preparation at the moment until we have got something to tell them.
"Our view is quite simply we need now to see where the ICC choose to go with this ... I'm sure they will come back to us in the next few days. As always we are working with all of our parties and that decision will play itself out in due course."
Brown said it was difficult to specify a particular deadline for a decision over Australia's participation in the limited overs tournament, should it remain in Pakistan.
"The ICC are the ones who are in control of both the detail and the possible alternative venue, so I'm sure we all understand that it's their position now," Brown said.
The Australian squad went into camp for the three-match limited overs series against Bangladesh in Darwin which starts later this month.