Champions Trophy fate hangs in Balance

Published: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 15:01 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi: The International Cricket Council Wednesday said it is likely to make a final decision on the ill-fated Champions Trophy in Pakistan on Sunday.

The eight-nation biennial event, scheduled for September, has run into serious doubts after players from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England raised security concerns.

"It is anticipated the ICC task team hook-up will take place on Aug 22 and the ICC Board hook-up will be held on Sunday Aug 24," said an ICC press release after a meeting at headquarters in Dubai.

The meeting was held a day after Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) urged its players not to tour the country following a wave of suicide bombings and ongoing political instability.

The ICC last month decided to keep the event in Pakistan despite security fears. It also appointed an eight-man task force to oversee security arrangements in the host country in an effort to allay fears about safety.

But Australian newspapers have since reported that the ACA had advised its players not to travel to Pakistan.

"The ACA has discussed the situation with its executive and our position is we can't recommend to our players they should tour Pakistan for the Champions Trophy," chief executive Paul Marsh was quoted as saying by The Australian newspaper.

The Champions Trophy is scheduled in Pakistan from Sept 12-28 with defending champions Australia, England, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, South Africa and the West Indies taking part.


Write Comments