Pacemen hold the key for Australia in India

Published: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 12:12 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Melbourne: Australia will be concentrating more on their pace attack than spin to thrash India in their forthcoming test series , chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said.

Australia included Doug Bollinger and Peter Siddle in their 15-man squad to provide back-up to the 'terror' trio of Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson for the series.

"It'll depend on conditions, they are spinner friendly, but when we won there last time ( we won because of our quick bowlers and we think it'll be the same this time," Hilditch told reporters in Adelaide)

Australia also included uncapped legspinner Bryce McGain, who could make his test debut at the age of 36, and offspinner Jason Krejza in the squad to replace the now retired Stuart MacGill.

Andrew Symonds, dropped from the side for the ODI series with Bangladesh in Darwin earlier this month after he missed a team meeting and went fishing instead, was dropped from the team.

Hilditch had said earlier in a statement that Symonds would not be considered again until the national selection panel were satisfied he was committed to playing for the team.
The first test begins in Bangalore on Oct. 9, followed by matches in Mohali (Oct. 17-21), Delhi (Oct. 29-Nov. 2) and in Nagpur (Nov. 5-9). Hilditch said the series was becoming as important to Australia as the Ashes series with England.

"It's an iconic series, I don't know what the players would say about which is more important, we always traditionally say the Ashes and that will always be up there, but this is really up there for the players," he said.

"We've only won there once in 30 years so this'll be a real test for this team and we've picked it to specifically try to win this series."


Write Comments