When Sachin Tendulkar ran a Peter Siddle's first delivery post the tea break down to thirdman and picked up three runs, he went past Brian Lara's record.
The 35-year-old is already the world's top-scorer in one-day internationals (16,361) and has the most centuries in Test matches (39) and one-dayers (42).
The top 50 highest run getters in Test matches
Lara took 131 Test matches (232 innings) to score 11,953 runs. These included the world-record 400 not out against England -- the highest individual score by any batsman in the world.
'Tendulkar is the God of cricket'
Tendulkar played 152 Test matches and batted in 247 innings for his 11,954 runs.
The countdown had started in July when India went to Sri Lanka with the little legend needing 172 to add to his world-record list of Test centuries, ODI centuries and ODI runs.
Sachin never thinks of records, says Kambli
Tendulkar has aggregated 1,000 runs in a calendar year on seven occasions - in 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007, which is also another world record.
Milk is the secret of Tendulkar's strength
Tendulkar has an impressive record of 39 Test centuries, the highest number by any player, and 49 fifties. He has been dismissed seven times in his Test career in the nervous 90s.
Tendulkar in figures
Made his Test debut at the tender age of 16 against Pakistan in 1989.
- Has 151 Tests to his name, getting to the crease on 247 occasions.
- Has finished unbeaten at the end of an Indian Test innings on 26 occasions, and sports a mere 14 ducks.
Sachin No 1 in Shane Warne's 100 greatest cricketers
- Boasts 39 Test centuries, 16 of which have been scored in India, and 49 half tons to boot.
- Has hit 47 sixes in Tests and has scored 1000 runs or more in a calendar year 7 times.
- Captained India 25 times in Tests.
- Highest Test score is 248 not out (against Bangladesh in 2004) and his best knock against Australia is 241 not out (in Sydney in 2004).
- Currently sits at 23 in the ICC Test rankings.
Lara sends best wishes to Tendulkar
- Net worth is said to be around 150 million US dollars, large amounts of which come from endorsing as many as 24 products, including Pepsi, Canon and Adidas.
- Ranked number 1 in 'Shane Warne's Century', the book published by the legendary Aussie in which he rates the top 100 cricketers he ever played against.