Full name : Sourav Chandidas Ganguly
Nickname : Dada, Prince of Kolkata, Bengal Tiger, Maharaja
Born : 8 July 1972 (age 36)(1972-07-08)
Calcutta, Bengal, India
Height : 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Batting style : Left-handed
Bowling style : Right arm medium
Role : Batsman
Major reecords held by Ganguly
* Ganguly is the seventh Indian cricketer to have played 100 test matches.
* He is currently the 4th highest overall run scorer for India in Tests.
* He is the fourth Indian to have played in more than 300 One Day Internationals.
* In terms of overall runs scored in ODIs, Ganguly is the second among Indians after Sachin Tendulkar (who has the highest ODI runs in the world) and the fourth in the world.
* Ganguly has scored 16 centuries in test matches and 22 in ODIs. He is one of only seven batsmen to score more than 10,000 runs in ODIs.
* Ganguly has 22 centuries in ODIs, in terms of number of centuries in ODIs, he is only behind Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya and Ricky Ponting.
* Sourav, along with Sachin Tendulkar, formed by far the most successful opening pair in One Day Cricket, having amassed the highest number of century partnerships (26) for the first wicket. Together, they have scored more than 7000 runs at an average of 48.98, now with Sachin he is a world record holder for creating most no. of 50 run partnership in the first wicket(44 fifties).
* Ganguly is the fourth player to cross 11,000 ODI runs and third player to cross 10,000 ODI runs and so far the fastest in ODI history, after Sachin Tendulkar.
* He also reached 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000 ODI runs milestones in the fewest number of matches.
* He is the only Indian captain to win a Test series in Pakistan (although two of the three Tests of that series was led by Rahul Dravid).
* He is also one of the 3 players in the world to achieve amazing treble of 10,000 runs, 100 wickets and 100 catches in ODI cricket history, the others being Sachin Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya
* Captained India in a record 49 test matches
* Led India to a record 21 test wins
* His test average has never been less than 40.
* Holds the record of most 200+ ODI partnerships (6 times) along with Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting.
* Holds the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for most 1st wicket ODI partnerships of 175+ runs (7 times).
* Holds the record, shared with Mahendra Singh Dhoni, for the second highest score by an Indian cricketer in an ODI — 183, against Sri Lanka in 1999.
* Held the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for the highest first wicket partnership for India in an ODI match, 258, against Kenya in 2001. This record was bettered by Sri Lankan opening pair of Jayasuriya and Tharanga in 2006 at Headingley.
* Was involved in the first 300 run ODI partnership with Rahul Dravid.
* Sixth on the all time list with 31 man of the match awards.
* He is also the only player to win 4 consecutive man of the match awards in ODIs.
* India's most successful ODI captain.
* First Indian to score an ODI century against Australia in Australia.
* Highest ODI runs scorer in the world (in a calendar year) in 1997,1999,2000.
* Third in the list of hitting maximum number of sixes in ODIs.
* Second in the list of highest number of centuries in a single calendar year ever. 7 centuries in 2000.