The terror hit Mumbai has already created problems for the BCCI after England team called off the two ODIs and decided to go back home with doubts looming large over their return for the Test series.
The Indian cricket board and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) are engaged in ''positive discussions'' to hold the two-Test series, which starts on December 11, with Mohali and Chennai believed to have been identified as the new venues.
England tour of India-Fixture
Chennai is now being considered for the first Test, possibly because it is seen as a venue with the least threat perception from the security point of view, and will help ease the immediate fears expressed by some of the England players on touring India.
Last week, BCCI said Chennai would replace Mumbai as the host for the second Test, but it now turns out that discussions are being held on whether Chennai can host the first Test and Mohali the second.
England 'divided' over India Test series
The pre-Test practice match is also likely to be held at the venue of the first Test, underscoring reports that the ECB had made this request.
''The discussions are still going on and nothing has been finalised as yet,'' MP Pandove, BCCI treasurer and secretary of the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA), which runs the Mohali venue, told 'Cricinfo'.
What is certain is that Ahmedabad has been ruled out as the first Test venue considering its series of terror strikes last week.
Cancellation of India tour a 'crying shame'
Under the BCCI schedule revised following the terror attacks, the first Test was to be held as originally scheduled from Ahmedabad from December 11-15, and the second Test in Chennai from November 19-23.
The pre-Test practice match between England and a Board president's XI was to be held in Vadodara from December 5-7.