Five England stars may reject India tour: Cork

Published: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:54 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London: Former England pace bowler Domnic Cork has said the England will miss the services of five crucial players in the upcoming India-England Test series.

Cork said even if the team is provided a stifling security cover, the players were so traumatised after the terror strikes in Mumbai that he expected ''five or six'' players not to return to India.

The former bowler turned media pundit Cork said he spoke to several England regulars who had based their decision on the more graphic images of the Mumbai terrorist attacks they had seen in India.

''They are upset and feel they wouldn't be able to go out,'' he said.

''Those I've spoken to are traumatised. What they saw on television was 10 times worse than what was shown here. I am not sure about the captain (Kevin Pietersen). I know of players who are going to put their families first,'' Cork told Radio Five Live last night.

Cork added that if any of the playing staff does not want to tour on safety grounds, the team should not go to India at all.

''If one doesn't go, they all shouldn't go. They should make a stand and say 'It's not safe for us to be there'. What is the point of England taking a diluted squad? The guys will not be focused,'' he said.

England-India Test series-Fixture

England called off its ODI series with two more matches to go last week after the terrorist atacks in Mumbai which killed nearly 200 people.

On the request of the ECB, the BCCI shifted the venue for the first Test to Chennai which was scheduled to be played at Ahmedabad from December 11, while the second Test would be played in Mohali from December 19.

England and Wales Cricket Board's (ECB) security advisor Reg Dickason is in Chennai to compile a report before a firm decision is made to return.

However, Indian board officials have said Dickason is not expected to conduct his security audit until today at the earliest.

Dickason's stipulations are believed to involve blanket security from the same Indian special forces who stormed the Taj Mahal Palace hotel last week.

There are also reports that the ECB has asked for commandos to accompany the team at all times, an emergency evacuation plan and total security around dressing rooms.


Write Comments