Australia will miss Stuart Clarke in South Africa tour

Published: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 11:11 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Melbourne: Stuart Clark will miss the tour of South Africa after his elbow injury flared up again this week.

Head selector Andrew Hilditch said today that Clark would not be considered for the squad, which will be announced next week, after withdrawing from the Sheffield Shield match between NSW and Tasmania due to start in Newcastle tomorrow.

Clark, 33, said he wasn't worried the injury was a long-term problem and that he had been rushing his recovery to be fit in time for the three-Test series in South Africa.

"It was swollen after the (grade) game but that was just what we thought was going to happen, but the swelling just keeps reoccurring every time that I bowl which happened again on Wednesday," he said.

"That has them a little concerned, that is not what I need."

The 22-Test bowler didn't expect any special treatment from selectors despite his brilliant form in the 2006 Test series in South Africa.

"That is up to them," he said.

"I will hopefully be playing cricket when the tour is on but they are just not going to pick guys to add to the squad they are going to pick guys to do a job."

Clark claimed 20 wickets at just over 15 in Australia's 3-0 Test series win in South Africa three years ago.

His absence for the entire home three-Test series, won 2-1 by South Africa, was considered a major bonus for the tourists.

Clark said he would throw his name up for the Indian Premier League auction if his arm was right as part of his preparations for this year's Ashes tour.

"I still need to play some cricket and that might be one of the options," he said.

"Whether I go in the auction ... but at a guess if my arm is good I will go in the auction yes."

The first Test against the Proteas takes place in Johannesburg on February 26.

Write Comments