हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Mendis no more a threat to India, says Harbhajan

Published: Friday, January 30, 2009, 12:11 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mendis no longer a threat to India: Harbhajan

Mumbai: India's leading spinner Harbhajan Singh today said Ajantha Mendis is no longer a threat to Indian batsmen and claimed victory against Sri Lanka in yesterday's first one-dayer is a major step as Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men attempt to become the number one team in the world.

"During last year's tour, no doubt Mendis was really a threat for the Indian team. But the Indian batsmen have now learned how to tackle him, which was proved in the first match of the ODI series, where Mendis proved a flop," said Harbhajan, who missed out on the tour of the Emerald Islands owing to a hamstring injury.

"During last year's tour Mendis was no doubt a real threat to India. But the Indian batsmen have now learnt to tackle him, which was proved in yesterday's first match of the ODI series where Mendis proved a flop," said Harbhajan, who missed out on the tour of the Emerald Islands owing to a hamstring injury.


The star off-spinner felt yesterday's victory in Dambulla was a major step as Dhoni's men attempt to become the number one team in the world.

The first job for India would be to win the ODI series in Sri Lanka and then defeat New Zealand at their own backyard.

However, he conceded defeating Sri Lanka in the second ODI at the Premadasa Stadium in Colombo will be a challenging task for Dhoni's team.

"Sri Lanka have a very good winning record on that ground where they have bounced back from seemingly difficult position in the past," said Harbhajan, who was here as chief guest in a cricket tournament organised in the memory of his late father Sardev Singh.

Write Comments