Mumbai: IPL officials have rejected a request from the Pakistan Cricket Board to change the start date of Mohammad Asif's drugs ban.
The Pakistan paceman tested positive for the banned drug nandrolone during the inaugural IPL season last year, and was banned for a year.
The drugs tribunal comprising former India captain Sunil Gavaskar, lawyer Shirish Gupte and medical expert Dr Ravi Bapat imposed the ban on Asif from September 22.
However, Asif had been suspended from all cricket from July 14, when the test results were initially made public.
PCB chairman Ijaz Butt had contacted the IPL and requested that Asif's ban be backdated to the start of his initial suspension in July, but the league have refused point-black.
"We have received a request from the PCB to advance the ban on Asif from September 22 to July 15, 2008. We cannot do so," IPL commissioner Lalit Modi said.
"I do not know the reasons the tribunal had for banning Asif for one year.
"However, Asif could have appealed against it and the Appeals Tribunal would have looked into it.
"Asif, however, has not done so. The ban stays from September 22, 2008."
The drugs tribunal originally said that they had started Asif's ban in September as that was the date on which the IPL had imposed the suspension order.