Mumbai: Dismissing any security concerns on the IPL's second season, IPL chairman on Tuesday said that it was wrong to compare the situation in India to Pakistan.
"We are a very safe country. You are sitting here, I am sitting here, we all are sitting here... We are not Pakistan. I really see no concern," Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi told reporters on Tuesday.
Security concerns around a tournament that attracts a large number of leading international players had intensified following last week's attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore, Pakistan, which left six players and a coach wounded and eight people dead.
"Let's not liken the situation in another country to be the same as our country," Modi, also a vice-president of the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said, as he unveiled plans for the tournament starting on April 10.
"After the Mumbai blasts, we still had games in Chennai (and Mohali)," he added of the two tests played by England, who resumed their aborted tour in December after receiving security assurances following the killing of 179 people in November's attacks.
Despite media reports suggesting international players had reservations about travelling to India, Modi said not one had officially voiced security fears and that all contracted players available would be taking part.
The IPL chairman, however, said security would be beefed up as a precautionary measure.