New Delhi: IPL Chairman Lalit Modi on Tuesday rubbished the media reports that the Australian cricketers would have their contracts terminated and the teams would be barred from Champions Trophy if they prefer domestic cricket to next year's IPL.
"The reports stating that the IPL is threatening to ban Australian players are absolutely untrue and baseless, " Modi clarified.
"We know that IPL Season 2010 does overlap with domestic tournaments and given that this is a one-off situation, we will be considerate," the IPL chief said.
"While the IPL can ask the players to fulfill their contractual obligations, we want to work out a constructive solution with the consent of all the cricket boards to resolve the issue at the earliest," he added.
Modi had earlier been quoted by Australian media that action could be taken against players who stayed away to play in their domestic leagues and that teams from those countries could be barred from playing in the Champions League.
The dates of the last round of the Australia's domestic competition -- Sheffield Shield -- and the mega BCCI event are clashing and some of the state teams, like Victoria, are reluctant to release players for the Twenty20 league in India.
Cricket Victoria chief executive Tony Dodemaide has already made it clear that he wants his cricketers to play in Sheffield Shields.
"Clearly we will expect our players to compete for Victoria," Dodemaide said.