New Delhi: International Cricket Council (ICC) vice-president Sharad Pawar on Sunday informed that governing body could give its verdict on the disgraced Ferozshah Kotla pitch by next week.
However, Pawar refused to give his position on the issue. ICC President David Morgan had earlier said that the ICC does not want an important cricketing center like New Delhi being deprived of hosting the 2011 World Cup matches.
"I am not going to give any opinion on this issue. The ICC is yet to finally take a decision (on Ferozshah Kotla) and the process is on. The BCCI is expecting a response from the ICC probably next week or in two weeks," Pawar said after chairing the meeting of the World Cup Organising Committee here.
The Ferozeshah Kotla stood disgraced after the fifth and final India-Sri Lanka ODI was abandoned following visiting captain Kumar Sangakkara's refusal to play on a dangerous pitch, raising the possibility of the venue being banned for a minimum of one year.
The pitch fiasco has cast a shadow of uncertainty over Delhi's prospects of hosting 2011 World Cup matches.
ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said the ICC has received a response from the BCCI on the matter and it will not be prudent on his part to speculate the outcome.
The former players who attended today's meeting at Jaitleys residence included ex captain Bishan Singh Bedi, Madan Lal, Kirti Azad, Surinder Khanna and Venkat Sunderam.