Jaipur, Feb 13: Rajasthan Royals all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja will not play in the third edition of the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament as the IPL has imposed a ban on him for violating the Code of Conduct.
The Saurashtra cricketer has been suspended for the third edition of IPL as he was bargaining for more salary from the franchisees, without getting a clearance from the Rajasthan Royals for this season, claimed sources.
Jadeja, however, can appeal against the decision.
Sources said Jadeja was inducted into the Rajasthan Royals team for the first season of the tournament through the 'draft system' for which he was paid a stipulated amount of Rs 20 lakhs, as he was an under 19 recruit.
In the second season, when the franchisees got the opportunity to sign Jadeja for two years, he was reluctant to sign on the dotted line and agreed to represent Rajasthan Royals' only for a year, added sources.
Jadeja began looking for a better bargain after his contract with Shane Warne- led Rajasthan Royals came to an end on December 31 last year.
As per rules, Jadeja could talk to the other IPL teams only after he was set free by Rajasthan Royals.
There are reports that the decision to suspend Jadeja was decided after the owners of Rajasthan Royals discussed the whole issue with IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi.
A BCCI official said, "We strictly adhere to the Code of Conduct and if any cricketer is violating it, then we won't tolerate it."
Sources said Jadeja could be pardoned only if the IPL decides to consider his case.