'Player guilty of no-ball row will be punished'

Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 12:54 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Will punish the guilty: Sangakkara

Dambulla, Aug 18: Taking responsibility for the controversial no-ball incident, Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara has assured that the player found guilty of the ploy will be punished.

“I have taken full responsibility for what had happened and the matter is with the (Sri Lanka Cricket) Board. Any player guilty in the incident will have to be punished," Sangakkara said.

The incident, which has sparked off a massive row, took place on Monday, Aug 16 during the India Vs Sri Lanka tri-series match.

As the scores were levelled off, off-spinner Suraj Randiv bolwed a no ball denying the Indian Opener Virender Sehwag of a hundred at the fag end of the match.

While India won the match, Sehwag was stranded at 99.

Now reports have emerged that it was Sri Lankan batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan who recommended Randiv to bowl a no-ball.

Even though Sangakkara had earlier indicated that Randiv might have delivered a no-ball on someone's advice, he did not repeat that statement again on Wednesday, Aug 18 after he came under the scanner for the previous one.

Speaking on the spirit of the game, the capitain said, “That (playing in the spirit of the game) is a grey area and it is not in black and white. It is for all the teams in the world. All the teams have experienced something or the other. Presenting yourself well on and off the field and making efforts to play fair are I think part of our job.

“As professionals, however, we try to forget what had happened at the beginning or the end of a match and try to go ahead. So, we have to get the better of the situation and try to win every match we play. That is what we are going to do now."


Write Comments