Melbourne, Nov 16: Australian selector Greg Chappell has hinted that Nathan Hauritz would almost certainly retain his place in the team for the first Test in Brisbane from November 25, and suggested that Xavier Doherty still has much to prove. In an exclusive blog, Chappell said Hauritz would retain his place in the team, where as Doherty was still their second-string spin option.
"Before any changes are made, it is important to have someone who is at least as good or preferably better to replace them," he said. "Xavier Doherty has been well performed in domestic cricket so far this season and is applying pressure, but aside from the Indian tour, Nathan has done well in recent Test series, so he deserves to be given as much chance to retain his spot in the team."
Hauritz has faced increasing pressure and criticism after Australia's tour of India in October, particularly after Doherty's impressive one-day International debut earlier this month, The Daily Telegraph reports. But Chappell said Doherty would need to continue improving in order to earn a Test call-up.
"I think Xavier has been seen as a one day bowler in the past but his performances in longer formats for Tasmania have been quite impressive in the past season so he is definitely being considered," he said.