Hauritz to undergo surgery

Posted by:
Published: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 9:48 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Hauritz to undergo surgery

Bad news from Australian offspinner Nathan Hauritz. His World Cup hopes might fade into oblivion in light of the fact that he dislocated his shoulder in Friday's one-day match against England and concerned medical authorities have confirmed that he needs to undergo remedial surgery.

Hauritz was helped off the field in intense pain and was subjected to a whole slew of scans on Saturday. They revealed 'moderate disruption' to his shoulder and it has been decided surgery is required although the medical staff remain hopeful over his World Cup chances.

"Nathan Hauritz will have arthroscopic surgery of his shoulder joint in Melbourne," Cricket Australia physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said. "This is a small procedure that we hope will give him the best opportunity to be available for the World Cup.

Meanwhile, the slow left-armer who has been waiting in the wings, Xavier Doherty, had already been called up to Australia's squad for the next two matches against England and would replace Hauritz at the World Cup.

In other injury-related news, Aussie fast bowler Shaun Tait has been cleared of serious injury after he left the field five balls into his sixth over at Hobart with pain in his thigh. He has been left out of today, Sunday, Jan 23's match against England, being replaced by John Hastings.

"Shaun complained of some left upper thigh pain," Kountouris said. "As a precaution he was advised to stop bowling and leave the field. He had scans this afternoon which have cleared him of any new and significant damage."

Johnson, meanwhile, has recovered from the throat infection which kept him out of the Hobart match but the medical staff decided he hadn't recovered sufficiently to play Sunday's match.


Write Comments