The Pakistan trio, accused in the spot fixing case, face one D-Day after the next this weekend. While they wait for the verdict of the ICC tribunal tomorrow, Feb 5, today they will learn whether the UK police, more specifically the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will push for legal proceedings against them.
Former Test captain, and fast bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir have been accused of conspiring in the bowling of deliberate no-balls on last year's tour of England - claims they all deny.
The trio could be banned for life when an International Cricket Council (ICC) tribunal announces its conclusions in Doha on Saturday, but a separate investigation by London's Metropolitan Police will be concluded today, when they find out if they face legal action in England.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed that an announcement will be made on the morning of Friday.
In August 2010, Britain's News of the World tabloid conducted a newspaper 'sting operation' which it said proved the Pakistan trio's complicity in the deliberate bowling of no-balls during the Lord's Test against England.
This, the paper said, was evidence of a spot-betting scam where money can be gambled on specific incidents in a match without the need to 'fix' the result.
All the Pakistan trio were interviewed by police. So too was players' agent Mazhar Majeed, whom the newspaper alleged accepted £50,000 to set up the deal. Majeed was also arrested. Butt, Asif and Amir are all currently provisionally suspended by the ICC.