Nagpur, Feb 26: The West Indies bid to win the World Cup 2011 has just suffered a major blow with all-rounder Dwayne Bravo being ruled out of the World Cup due to a knee injury. Bravo had injured his left knee during his team's seven-wicket loss to South Africa on Thursday, a leading newspaper reports.
The 27-year-old is expected to be out of cricket action for a minimum of four weeks, and will return to the Caribbean for further orthopaedic assessments and to commence rehabilitation. West Indies coach Ottis Gibson said that a replacement would be named after International Cricket Council (ICC) approval.
"This is a blow for us. Dwayne is our vice-captain and one of the key members of our team. He has been showing good form with the bat, and batted well against South Africa on Thursday," Gibson said.
"He is also a live-wire in the field and a reliable bowler. We wish him a speedy recovery, and hope he gets back on the field soon," he added.
West Indies had earlier lost wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh and batsman Adrian Barath to hamstring injuries. The side plays the Netherlands on Monday in the second World Cup match for both sides.