Lahore, May 31: The PCB has released a partial amount of outstanding to controversial wicketkeeper, Zulqarnain Haider, who faces a grilling from the board''s disciplinary committee for embarrassing Pakistan cricket last year.
A senior board official confirmed to PTI that the PCB had released around 40 percent of money that was due to Zulqarnain for representing the national team last year.
The board is said to owe the runaway keeper around 1.9 million rupees as outstanding match fees, tour fees, allowances and share of logo sponsorship and bonus awards.
The board had withheld all payments to Zulqarnain and cancelled his central contract after he fled the team hotel last year in Dubai during the one-day series against South Africa last November.
The keeper, who fled to London and sought asylum there, claimed he was threatened by an unknown person of dire consequences for not cooperating in fixing the one-day series.
Zulqarnain returned home in late April after meeting with interior minister, Rehman Malik in London who assured him of full security.
The board has said that Zulqarnain has to face a disciplinary committee to clear his case before he can be given clearance to play cricket again at domestic or international levels.
Chief operating officer of the board, Subhan Ahmed said the partial payment was released to Zulqarnain because of his financial woes.
"He wrote to us informing us that his father was under treatment for a terminal illness and he required money for this purpose. That is why partial payment has been made to him but it will have no bearing on his case before the disciplinary committee," Subhan said.
He made it clear that the law would follow its course and the disciplinary committee, which is expected to meet after the Pakistan team returns from Ireland on June 2, would decide whether the keeper was justified in leaving the team hotel without seeking permission.
"The disciplinary committee will now look into the case and if a decision goes against Zulqarnain his remaining payment can be deducted as penalty," the official said.
The official also confirmed that the board had released partial payments to banned cricketers Salman Butt, Mohammad Aamir and Mohammad Asif.