Mumbai, July 13: The cricket World Cup 2011 was a glowing success in every way except one: the ICC had banned participating cricketers from registering their comments on social networking sites like twitter. But since the big event, the ban has been lifted and the number of cricket twitterers as well as the volume of their followers have soared. Players have used the internet facility to keep their legions of supporters updated on their thoughts and feelings. Following are a list of the five hottest cricket names and an account of the nature of their tweets.
5) Graeme Swann: The wily English off-spinner tweets about his ongoing performances as well as his views on other cricketers. He has recently uploaded a video link of Sri Lankan spin legend Muttiah Muralitharan. Swann also throws in an occasional message about his pet cat!
4) Zaheer Khan: After his recent engagement to actress Isha Sharvani, his twitter account has been inundated with followers scrutinising his posts for tit-bits on the relationship. But the fast bowler who tends to take his role in the India national side seriously, focuses more on his training at the National Cricket Academy (NCA).
3) Shane Warne: The Aussie spin-king is also is a regular twitterer and waxes eloquent and passionately on the present predicaments of his country's cricket team. The fact that fans are extra-interested in his personal life, especially his romantic association with British actress Liz Hurley means that he has garnered a large following as well.
2) Yuvraj Singh: The Indian all-rounder who has resurrected his career with an outstanding showing in the World Cup 2011 has morphed into a highly sought-after figure on twitter, with fans lapping up gossip about his personal life and news of his sports foundation.
1) Sachin Tendulkar: It isn't suprising that the man who stands on the threshold of a 100 international centuries is the most-followed cricketer on twitter. But the Little Master sends out no-nonsense tweets where he talks about his career, latest showing, anticipation of an upcoming tour or home-series and his many charity endeavours.