Melbourne, Nov 18: The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) has strongly rubbished former ICC anti-corruption chief Sir Paul Condon's claim that match-fixing was rife in the 1980s and 1990s.
"Player Associations are getting sick and tired of people coming out making these general accusations, the effect of which casts doubts over the entire player base," said FICA's chief executive, Tim May.
"If people are going to make these types of accusations, make sure that they are specific and make sure that you have the proof to back up such claims," he added.
In a newspaper interview earlier this week, Condon had claimed that "every international team, at some stage, had someone doing some funny stuff."
He also stated that: "A whole generation of cricketers playing in the late 1990s must've known what was going on and did nothing. When they look back on their careers, a bit of shame must creep in."
May, however, said that these allegations were made without any foundation.
"To suggest that a whole generation of cricketers knew what was going on is clearly without any foundation to further claim that they should be feeling shamed by not doing anything about it is an excessive observation," he was quoted as saying.
May also raised questions as to why steps were not taken to punish the guilty cricketers at that point of time if Condon was aware of corruption in the game.
"You have to ask the question, if the ICC knew such facts and had such information, why was there no retrospective action taken by the ICC or the individual Boards," asked May.
But May agreed with Condon's view that more player participation is required to eradicate corruption from cricket.
"Players should be more closely involved by the ICC in the search for solutions. FICA and its member associations have for a long time being pushing for greater involvement with anti-corruption education and input into general anti-corruption issues," he said.