Barbados, Apr 6: The way has been carved out for opener Chris Gayle's selection to the West Indies cricket team but uncertainty prevails over his actual return and major concerns over his role in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), continue to loom over the deal agreed.
Chris Gayle is involved in a lawsuit with West Indies player Association (WIPA) against WICB, Gayle hasn't played for the Windies since the World Cup in 2011.
Chairman of CARICOM's prime ministerial sub-committee on cricket, Antigua and Barbuda's Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer announced Wednesday evening that the year-long impasse between the embattled Jamaican and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) had been resolved.
According to reports from CARICOM (the Caribbean Community) ,the agreement said, "In the light of all of this, the WICB and Mr Gayle agree that the way is now clear for his active return to West Indies cricket, subject to all necessary fitness considerations," the report quoted from the agreement. "A date is to be set for this meeting, convenient to all parties, including Mr Gayle who is currently in India," Baldwin Spencer, the Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda, and the chairman of the Prime Ministerial sub-committee of cricket was quoted as saying.
However, Gayle has reportedly said he will be not be available to play for West Indies during the entire season of IPL. Gayle will miss a test series against England between May 5 and June 24. He also said he was available for the World Twenty20 this year and that he was not seeking to "cherry pick" the series he played.
WICB wanted Gayle to discontinue the lawsuit against them, "As the lawsuit was started by WIPA without him, and his claims are set out separately, we do not understand why Mr Gayle says he cannot contemplate withdrawing from the lawsuit without WIPA.
"Our efforts must surely be focussed on bringing about the resolution of all outstanding matters between the Board and Mr Gayle."