The 13th match of the fifth season of Indian Premier League, witnessed many records as MS Dhoni's men and RCB players were on song on Thursday night as Chennai strip registered the second highest run chase, fastest IPL fifty this year and highest sixes in the history of IPL so far.
Royal Challengers Bangalore opting to bat first after winning the toss posted a mammoth 205/8 in their allotted 20 overs, as Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli, Mayank Agarwal and others pitched in to contribute. The most interesting part was the runs that flowed from the bat, the match recorded as many as 413 runs, the highest in IPL 5 so far.
Interestingly, 23 sixes and 29 boundaries were scored in the match including RCB and Chennai's innings to overcome the previous highest 18, recorded by Rajasthan Royals and Chennai Super Kings in 2010.
* Chris Gayle hit six 6s during his knock of 68 off 35 balls including the biggest six of the tournament off Jakati's over (103m)
* Mayank Agarwal sent three deliveries to the stands during his knock of 45 (26 balls)
* While Virat Kohli hit two 6s, Vinay Kumar lofted the last ball of RCB's innings, which landed in the stands making it 12 in total.
* Chennai Super Kings hit 11 6s in the innings
* RCB hit 12 6s in the innings
* Faf du Plessis hit 4 6s against RCB during his 46 ball 71 before being dismissed by Muralitharan.
* Albie Morkel, the match-winner, who was supernatural on Thursday, scored 28 runs off Virat Kohli's 19th over to ease the pressure off Chennai. He hit 3 6s and 2 4s during his 7-ball 28.
* Skipper MS Dhoni also joined the party as he hit 2 6s against RCB while chasing a target of 206.
* Suresh Raina and Dwayne Bravo hit one six each to bring the tally to 11 in the innings. Though they were one six short, the match recorded maximum sixes in IPL.
23 sixes in a match is the highest for the time-being, with this being the turnaround, we shall definitely witness more such records in the days to come as the fifth edition of IPL is spread over 54 days.