हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Chris Gayle doesn't rule out third Test call-up

Posted by:
Published: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 17:36 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Gayle in for third Test against England?

Bridgetown, May 30: Former West Indies captain Chris Gayle has not ruled out making himself available for the third and Final Test of the Windies tour of England but said a decision will be taken by the West Indies Cricket Board on Sunday.

The former Windies captain will meet WICB officials, Antigua's Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer and St. Vincent Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves in St. Vincent to discuss "residual matters" regarding the matter which brokered last month that paved the way for Gayle's return to the side.

Meanwhile, Gayle could fly to join his struggling team which lost both Tests and handed over the series to England.

"I don't know if I'll eventually get that call (from the selectors) but I have to meet with the board first on the third (of June) and the Test match starts on the seventh, so I don't how that would work," Gayle said on the SportsMax Zone, Tuesday.

"We would have to meet and then (I would have to) jump on a plane. I don't know how beneficial that would be for the team to actually be arriving a day before the Test match."

Gayle further said: "But as I said, I am a sportsman and I am always ready physically and mentally for the occasion."

Gayle missed the Test series following IPL duties with his team Royal Challengers Bangalore but indicated that he would be available for the upcoming ODI series.

However, his IPL stint ended early as Royal Challengers Bangalore failed to reach the play-offs raising speculations that Gayle could play in Tests against England.

While the agenda of Sunday's meeting is unclear, among the "residual matters" is expected to be Gayle's involvement in a multi-million dollar West Indies Player Association (WIPL) lawsuit against the WICB.

In correspondence to Gayle last month, the WICB raised concerns about the lawsuit and Gayles continued participation in the litigation process, especially since he was making himself available for selection.

At the time, Gayle said he could not "possibly contemplate withdrawing unilaterally from proceedings", contending that such a move would affect all West Indies players.

Gayle said the meeting with the board was important to revive his international career.

"It's nothing really to do with the cricket, to be honest with you," Gayle said of the meeting.

"It's other issues to actually deal with at this particular time which the board needs to iron out. We'll see how best we can work that out and see what comes out of it," he said.

"Hopefully, I can be clear and have my mind free of all these ongoing issues and play some cricket and have fun."

ThatsCricket

Write Comments