Colombo, Jun 9: Sri Lankan Tournament Director Upekha Nell who is incharge of ICC World Twenty20 to be played in the country during the month of September has ruled out security threat in hosting the event.
The mega event ICC World Twenty20 will be played in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 7, 2012.
"Contrary to suggestions in some sections of the media, I wish to reassure you that there is absolutely no security threat to the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012," Nell said.
TheTournament Director further added saying that a comprehensive security plan will be given after the discussion at the Security Directorate meeting and the plan offered will be monitored constantly.
"You may recall here that the Sri Lanka Government and the Sri Lanka Cricket have assured the ICC of providing a similar level of security to that offered for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 which was one of the most successful events ever."
Concerns over security were raised post reported theft at theSri Lankan headquarters though the tournament director insisted that the safety plan was not stolen.
"...there is absolutely no security threat to the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, as no files were lost as alleged," Tournament Director Upekha Nell said in a statement released by the ICC.
The theft was reported in the media here two weeks ago. The reports claimed that documents belonging to World Twenty20 2012 security consultant Shane Dullewa had been stolen from the board's headquarters.
After the theft, Shane Dullewa was relieved of his position. Fowllowing his sacking, he has appealed to a Colombo District Court against the decision.
But Nell denied any such incident saying there weren't any issues with security and said "a comprehensive security plan" will be discussed by the organisers for the event, scheduled from September 18 to October 7.
"The Sri Lankan government and Sri Lanka Cricket have assured the ICC of providing a similar level of security as was available during the 2011 World Cup."