Bangalore, Jun 15: Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) will yet again be without Indian stars as Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has refused to allow the players to participate in the Twenty20 league, a report said on Thursday night.
Last year, SLPL did not take off as BCCI did not let its players to play in the IPL-styled tournament. Sri Lanka's hopes again have been dashed by the powerful Indian cricket board.
"They (Sri Lanka Cricket) did approach us, but we may not be in a position to send our players," an unnamed BCCI official told "The Times of India" on Thursday.
SLPL is set to be launched in the month of August. Sri Lanka is hoping to replicate IPL success, but lack of Indian stars in the tournament might hit them hard.
SLPL will be held before the ICC World Twenty20 2012 tournament in Sri Lanka.
BCCI's reluctance to send its players could be due to the fact that Indian team has a busy schedule starting from next month. They travel to Sri Lanka for a five-match ODI series and also Twenty20 from July end. Then they return home to host New Zeland.
There have been several Sri Lankan players signed up by IPL franchises. Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Lasith Malinga and captain Mahela Jayawardene are few of the Sri Lankan stars who featured in IPL 5, that concluded on May 27.
A media report Sri Lanka said that SLPL will go ahead despite Indian players' absence.
"We will go ahead this time without India," an unnamed SLC official was quoted as saying in "Island Cricket" on Thursday.
"We will go ahead with the tournament with or without Indian players," SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga said in Colombo on friday.
SLC has signed a 15-year deal with Singapore-based Somerset Entertainment Ventures for SLPL.
Somerset Entertainment Ventures was subjected to an investigation by the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE), "Island Cricket" reported.