Zimbabwe's Tatenda Taibu, who announced his retirement from international cricket in July 2012, was the second youngest ODI captain as he was 20 years and 342 days old when he led his team against Sri Lanka at Bulawayo in April 2004.
While Bangladesh's Rajin Saleh has been the youngest ODI captain since he led his team against South Africa at Birmingham in the year 2004, while he was 20 years and 297 days old.
Prosper Utseya, another Zimbabwean player is placed third in the list of youngest captains, as he was 21 years and 125 days old while he captained the Zimbabwean side in the year 2006 after Taibu stepped down as captain.
According to stats, there are two Zimbabwean players and four Bangladesh players in the top 10 youngest ODI captains.
Interestingly, six of the top 10 youngest ODI captains are Asian cricketers.
Here is the list of the remaining seven, after Rajin Saleh, Tatenda Taibu and Prosper Utseya.
Kane Williamson (NZ) - 21 years, 332 days
Waqar Younis (Pak) - 21 years,354 days
Greame Smith (SA) - 22 years, 71 days
Shakib Al Hasan (B'desh) - 22 years, 124 days
Mohammad Ashraful (B'desh) - 23 years, 13 days
Mushfiqur Rahim (B'desh) - 23 years, 42 dys
Sachin Tendulkar (India) - 23 years, 126 days
Facts on Youngest Captains
* Sachin Tendulkar is India's youngest ODI captain, while Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi was the youngest captain for India in the longer version of the game.
* Tatenda Taibu has been the youngest skipper for both (Tests and ODI) for Zimbabwe.
* Waqar Younis was also the youngest captain for Pakistan in Tests and ODIs.
* Similar to Taibu and Waqar Younis, Graeme Smith became the youngest captain to lead South Africa in both Tests and ODI in 2003.
* New Zealand's Kane Williamson was the youngest ODI captain to represent his country, while Stephen Fleming led the Test team when he was 23 years old to become the youngest Test captain for New Zealand.
* GC Grant was the youngest Test captain for West Indies while Ramnaresh Sarwan took the honours for the limited overs format as he led the side 23 years and 300 days old.
* While Ian Botham was the youngest ODI captain for England, Monty Bowden was the youngest Test skipper for the country which introduced the game of cricket while he was 23 years old.
* Interestingly, Aravinda de Silva became the youngest Test captain for Sri Lanka at the age of 25, while Arjuna Ranatunga captained the side while he was 24 years old to become the youngest ODI captain.
* Kim Hughes (Aus) created history as he became the youngest ODI captain for his country while he was 25 years old. Similarly, Ian Craig led the side when he was 22 years old to top the list of youngest ODI captains of Australia.