ECB firm on Pietersen's exit, no comeback on cards

Posted by:
Updated: Monday, July 16, 2012, 14:20 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Flower, ECB say 'no' to Pietersen

London, Jul 16: Kevin Pietersen, who retired from limited overs  last month, was hoping to make a comeback ahead of the Twenty20 World Cup but England and Wales Cricket Board, as well as Coach Andy Flower are not in favour of the South African born batsman as they are firm on the decision of not entertaining his comeback.

Pietersen, was forced to quit the limited-overs format following ECB's policy of not allowing players to choose any of the limited overs format, as they were supposed to play both ODIs and T20s or only Tests.

In order to focus purely on Test cricket, Pietersen was left with no other option than quitting limited-overs format, after which the right-handed batsman has been repenting on the decision taken by him and expressed his desire to make a comeback soon.

According to ECB and coach Andy Flower, there are no plans to recall Pietersen, as this could turn out to be an issue later as many leading names could adopt the same strategy and choose any of the limited overs format, which is against their policy.

"As things stand at the moment, no," Flower told the Mail on Sunday.

"The situation is the same as it was when he first approached us. The ECB are determined to protect all three formats of the game and part of that is not setting a precedent of allowing players to retire from one-day cricket alone."

Flower further said that it was sad for a player of Pietersen's calibre as he was at his prime when he announced his retirement from ODIs and T20s.

"I think it's sad for a player in his batting prime not to be playing all forms of international cricket, something that a lot of the guys work very hard for but are also very lucky to have the opportunity to do," he said.

"So I would hate for him to get to the end of his career and look back and think, 'Oh damn, I wish I hadn't missed the World T20 or the 2015 World Cup'," the former Zimbabwe batsman added.

"Maybe he won't. Maybe he's a very... well he is a very different person to me, so he might not think that way at all."

Pietersen who decided to call it quits following a nightmare schedule, could have opted out of the lucrative Indian Premier League, if he wanted a break from cricket is what the critics have to say on the South African born cricketer's decision.


Story first published:  Monday, July 16, 2012, 13:49 [IST]
Write Comments