हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Share This Story

Yuvraj named in India's 30-man squad for World T20

Posted by:
Updated: Friday, July 20, 2012, 15:31 [IST]

Yuvraj in India's 30-man list for WT20

Bangalore, Jul 18: Yuvraj Singh has been named in India's 30-man probables list for the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 2012.

Also read: Will Yuvraj be in final 15 for World T20?

World T20 Schedule

It is good news for Yuvraj's fans and the Indian team as the all-rounder is training hard to make a comeback to the national squad. This is the first step towards his return to competitive cricket.

The left-hander, who underwent chemotherapy for a rare germ cell cancer, has not played cricket for more than seven months. His last match for India was a Test against West Indies in Kolkata in November, 2011. He was eyeing the World T20 to return to India colours.

The final squad of 15 should be submitted to the International Cricket Council (ICC) before August 18, exactly one month before the start of the tournament.

"The All-India Senior Selection Committee has picked the thirty probables for the ICC World T20 2012, to be played in Sri Lanka in September-October 2012," Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Secretary, Sanjay Jagdale said in a media release on Wednesday.

Also making a comeback into India reckoning is offspinner Harbhajan Singh. He is currently playing for Essex county in England.

"Slowly my body will get stronger. The Twenty20 World Cup is the target," Yuvraj had said two weeks back after starting training at the National Cricket Academy (NCA).

"I want to comeback and play for India and that is my goal. I am trying very hard. I have gone through a lot. The body has gone through a lot of shocks. Yes I am focused on the World Cup," Yuvraj had said.

"It is good news that Yuvraj has started net practice at NCA. We want Yuvraj back in the Indian team for T20 World Cup," Kris Srikkanth, chairman of selection committee, had said recently.

There are few new faces in the list announced by the selection committee. The selectors have considered the performances of Indian Premier League and included Mumbai Indians' batsman Ambati Rayudu and Mandeep Singh of Kings XI Punjab. Both batsmen had a fine IPL 5.

Delhi Daredevils' opener and wicketkeeper Naman Ojha was also rewarded for his good showing in IPL 5. Ojha has already played One Day Internationals for India.

Tamil Nadu's paceman Lakshmipathy Balaji, who too had a good bowling stint with IPL 5 champions Kolkata Knight Riders, finds a place. Left-handed opener Shikhar Dhawan, who scored more than 500 runs for Deccan Chargers, is also included along with wicketkeeper Dinesh Karthik, who played for Mumbai Indians in IPL 5.

All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, who was axed from Indian team for Sri Lanka tour, has been considered.

India are in Group A with England and Afghanistan. The World Tweny20 tournament starts on September 18 and goes on till October 7. India's first match is against Afghanistan on September 19 at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.

India's 30-man probables list: MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, R. Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Umesh Yadav, Ashok Dinda, Ajinkya Rahane , Manoj Tiwary, Rahul Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Yuvraj Singh, Robin Uthappa, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Mandeep Singh, Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Harbhajan Singh, Munaf Patel, Naman Ojha, Dinesh Karthik, Praveen Kumar, Lakshmipathy Balaji.

ThatsCricket

Story first published:  Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 11:47 [IST]

Please read our comments and moderation policy before posting

Write Comments