Bangalore, Sep 24: Pakistan's Shahid Afridi on Sunday became the highest wicket-taker in World T20 with 28 scalps to his credit after dismissing New Zealand's Rob Nicol in a Group D clash at Pallekele on Sunday.
The all-rounder has been an important member of the Pakistan squad since the inaugural edition of World T20 in 2007.
Having claimed 28 wickets off 21 matches, Afridi also has two four wicket hauls to his credit, while 4/11 against Netherlands in 2009 being his best.
Shahid Afridi with one wicket in the tournament, became the highest wicket taker in World T20 as Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal and Lasith Malinga are on 27, a wicket or two for any of these bowlers can change the table.
Saeed Ajmal, has been in prolific form, and looks like he can easily surpass Afridi's record early as he has been the only person to have claimed 3 four wicket hauls in the history of the shortest format.
Here is the list of cricketers who have taken more wickets in World T20
* Shahid Afridi (Pakistan) - 28
* Umar Gul (Pakistan) - 27
* Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) - 27
* Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka) - 27
* Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka) - 22
* Stuart Broad (England) - 21
* Mitchell Johnson (Australia) - 20
* Morne Morkel (South Africa) - 19
* Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) - 19
* Graeme Swann (England) - 18