Melbourne, Dec 26: Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara crossed the 10,000-run mark in Test cricket on the opening day of their second Test against Australia here at Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Wednesday.
Sangakkara is the second Sri Lankan after Mahela Jayawardene in the 10,000-Test run club. Overall, Sangakkara is the 11th batsman in Test history to cross the milestone.
The left-hander reached 10,000 runs just before lunch with a four off Mitchell Johnson. The Boxing Day crowd at the stadium gave the Sri Lankan a standing ovation.
Sangakkara matched Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara with this feat, by taking the same number of innings - 195 to touch 10,000. Sangakkara is playing in his 115th Test.
Sangakkara was finally dismissed on 58, caught behind by wicketkeeper Matthew Wade off Johnson.
List of batsmen with 10,000 and more Test runs (updated after Sri Lanka's first innings in Melbourne, December 26, 2012)
1. Sachin Tendulkar (India) 15,645 runs (194 Tests)
2. Ricky Ponting (Australia) 13,378 (168)
3. Rahul Dravid (India) 13,288 (164)
4. Jacques Kallis (South Africa) 12,980 (158)
5. Brian Lara (West Indies) 11,953 (131)
6. Allan Border (Australia) 11,174 (156)
7. Steve Waugh (Australia) 10,927 (168)
8. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 10,696 (146)
9. Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka) 10,674 (137)
10. Sunil Gavaskar (India) 10,122 (125)
11. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)