हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Starc to ignore IPL to stay focused for Ashes

Posted by:
Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 17:40 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mitchell Starc set to miss IPL for Ashes

Melbourne, Jan 24: Australia cricketer Mitchell Starc will not be a part of the auction for the sixth edition of Indian Premier League in order to prepare well ahead of Ashes.

While Australia's Michael Clarke, David Warner and the recently retired Michael Hussey will be participating in the lucrative league, the left-arm pacer has ruled himself out of the auction that is scheduled to be held on Feb 3, 2013.

Since the team has a hectic schedule after India tour, Mitchell Starc has decided to undergo training for Ashes during IPL 6.

"I thought about it long and hard and had a chat with a few people and just figured that I've had a pretty big 18 months and I feel that my body just needs that time," Starc said.

"The six weeks just to have a couple of weeks off, build myself back up in the gym, get some bowling under the belt and be raring to go if the chance comes to go to England."

Starc also said that he could wait to play IPL while he is determined to play for his country.

"My focus is playing for Australia and IPL can wait. For me, playing for Australia has always been the dream and I've got a chance to do that now. We've got a big 12 months coming and personally I'd rather take those six weeks to get myself ready for the winter over in England if I get the chance to go over there," Starc added.

Starc, has not been a part of IPL so far and his recent performance in the series against Sri Lanka could attract a couple of franchises. With an allround performance (74 runs off 5 matches, including a highest score of 52* coupled with three wickets in a match) has made him a top player this auction.

The 22-year-old Aussie pacer says he has no regrets for not playing IPL.

"I made the decision to go over to England last year to work on my game [with Yorkshire], and this year it's the smart option to take the six weeks to recuperate and get my body right and strong to go."

"It's all a personal choice, just my decision not to go. I spoke to a few people, my manager, my girlfriend, a few people close to me and that was my decision. I've been going for 18 months straight now, pretty happy with how my body's going, and I've learned a lot in terms of my cricket," he was further quoted as saying by the website.

ThatsCricket

Write Comments