Mumbai, Feb 5: BCCI has listed out criteria for choosing IPL venues and among others the stadiums should have floodlights and minimum capacity to seat 20,000. This year's IPL 6 starts on April 3.
In an announcement on their official website, BCCI has listed out the following criteria for selecting IPL venues.
* The Stadium must be owned by the State Associations or should be leased on a long-term basis from the owner of the Stadium.
* A new stadium proposed to be constructed or proposed to be leased by the Association may also be included, and if a franchise is awarded for that stadium, matches played at an alternate venue until the new stadium is ready.
* The city where the stadium is located should be connected and should have an airport in the city or if there is no airport in the city, within 50km of the stadium.
* There should be 5 star hotels in the city and should be able to accommodate to the requirements of the IPL - teams, match officials etc.
* The stadium should have hosted international matches or if it has not hosted international matches, it should have hosted domestic matches and should have all necessary ground equipments and facilities, including broadcast & hospitality facilities, to a standard that would be expected for an international match.
* The stadium must have floodlights.
* The stadium should have a capacity of 20,000 or more.
* The norms and criteria are subject to change from time to time.