Australia-New Zealand game abandoned due to rain

Posted by:
Updated: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 23:09 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Birmingham, June 12: Rain played spoilsport as Australia and New Zealand were forced to share points in a Group A match of the Champions Trophy here at Edgbaston on Wednesday. The match had to be abandoned with New Zealand's innings 15 overs into the chase of 244.


Australia and New Zealand received 1 point each from the game. Australia, however, will feel they have been robbed of a point after having the Kiwis at 51/2 in 15 overs.

Australia-NZ game abandoned due to rain

Umpires and players had to wait for more than two and half hours in hope of getting the game restarted. But a final inspection by the umpires at 6.15 PM local time saw the game being called off. When that inspection of the ground happened, the covers were still on the square and the outfield was damp.

Earlier, half centuries from captain George Bailey (55) and Adam Voges (71) helped Australia to 243/8 in 50 overs.

New Zealand's left-arm paceman Mitchell McClenaghan was the pick of the bowlers with figures of 4/65 in 10 overs. He is now the leading wicket-taker in the tournament with 8. Former captain Daniel Vettori bowled a miserly spell of 0/23 in 10 overs with 1 maiden. Nathan McCullum took 2/46 in 10 overs. Kiwis used three spinners with Kane Williamson also completing his full quota with 1/56.

It was for the first time in ODI history that three spinners of New Zealand had combined to bowl full quota of 30 overs in an ODI.

Australia, who took the field without regular skipper Michael Clarke (injured) and David Warner (axed for breach of code of conduct), were rocked early on by New Zealand seamers. It was left to Bailey and Voges to lead the rescue mission with a 77-run partnership for the 4th wicket.

Australia were 10/2 in 3.1 overs with Shane Watson (5) and Phil Huges (0) departing in quick succession. Matthew Wade (29) joined the duo in the pavilion with the team in trouble at 74/3 in 19 overs.

Bailey and Voges joined hands to put the team back on track. Stand-in skipper Bailey reached his 6th ODI fifty in his 23th game. For Voges, this was his 3th half century in 19th match.

In the end, Glenn Maxwell played a fine knock of 29 not out off 22 balls to push the score towards 243.


Story first published:  Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 18:24 [IST]
Write Comments