Mumbai, July 9: The selectors have sent a strong message to Sachin Tendulkar's son Arjun by not picking him in the 30-man Under-14 category probables list for Mumbai.
Arjun Tendulkar was a member of the Mumbai Under-14 team earlier this year for West Zone matches. Mumbai won the tournament but he did not get to play a single game.
Even his selection earlier was mired in controversy with several parents alleging that the left-handed batsman was picked due to his father's reputation.
Now, the selectors have sent a clear message by axing Arjun due to poor showing in the trials, a report in "The Indian Express" said on Tuesday. Arjun failed to score a half century even once in the selection matches.
"The selectors were firm that he has not performed well and there was no reason to include Arjun. He needs to go back and perform again to be picked for Mumbai's junior side," an MCA insider told the newspaper.
The report added that the selectors wanted Arjun to know that being Sachin's son does not qualify him to be an automatic choice for Mumbai team.
"We felt that this decision to drop him will change him for the better. Hopefully, in the next two years we might see a different Arjun. But for that to happen he needs to work harder" an MCA insider said.