Australia have hit 'rock bottom', says McGrath

Posted by:
Published: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 18:45 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Australia at 'rock bottom': McGrath

London, July 23: Former fast bowler Glenn McGrath has said Australia have hit "rock bottom" with two straight losses to England in the ongoing Ashes series.

Writing in "The Guardian" on Monday (July 22), McGrath felt Australia need to bring back offspinner Nathan Lyon for the third Test starting on August 1.

"They say that you have to hit the bottom before you can start to get back up. And that is where this Australia team are right now, rock bottom, after a run of six straight defeats to India and England," McGrath started.

"If these players have not heard the wake-up call by now, then they do not deserve to be in the Australia team. They have to turn this series around right now. If they don't, some of the blokes in this squad could find that their international careers end with the fifth Test at The Oval," he added.

Australia were whitewashed by India 4-0 earlier this year and with two defeats now, they have slumped to six consecutive away losses.

On how Australia could bounce back, the 43-year-old McGrath wrote: "Nathan Lyon, between his debut in 2011 and the start of this series, took as many wickets in Test cricket as any other Australian bowler, 76 at an average of 33. He should start the next Test."

The third Test begins on August 1.


Write Comments