Bangalore, Sep 11: There will be no Pakistani participation in this month's Champions League Twenty20 2013 tournament after the Indian government refused to grant visas to Faisalabad Wolves team, according to a media report on Wednesday.
According to "CNN IBN" news channel, quoting sources, due to security reasons the team will not be allowed to participate in CLT20, which starts on September 17.
There were doubts of Wolves' participation last month after tensions at the Line of Control (LOC) between India and Pakistan. The team's visas were put on hold by the Indian government.
On August 13, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin had said India was approached for visas for the Pakistani team. He was quoted by "IANS" news agency as saying, "Now that we have received the request, we will carefully examine it and consider all aspects before we take a decision, and we will communicate it to all".
Wolves, the lone Pakistan team in the tournament, were to play in the qualifying stage in Mohali. Now, the BCCI has decided to go ahead with the qualifiers with only three teams. Wolves is led by Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq.
Last month, Misbah had hoped that they will be allowed to play. "I hope we are able to play in the league because it is a great opportunity for our new players who dont have international exposure to play against the top players," he had said.