Kolkata, Nov 7: Rohit Sharma became the 14th Indian batsman to score a Test hundred on debut during the second day of the first Test against West Indies here on Thursday.
At the Eden Gardens, Rohit brought up his maiden Test hundred to join an elite company of batsmen. Rohit batted at number six and arrived at the crease after Sachin Tendulkar departed for 10. When Rohit came to the crease, India were in trouble at 82/5.
On Wednesday, Rohit was handed Test debut after having featured in 108 One Day Internationals for the country. He was the first cricketer in history to have wait so long for Test debut (after playing 108 ODIs).
The 26-year-old right-handed batsman from Mumbai is the second Indian this year to get to three-figure mark this year. Shikhar Dhawan had scored 187 in his maiden Test against Australia earlier this year.
Also, Rohit has followed his 209 in ODI against Australia in Bangalore on November 2 with a ton here.
List of India's Test centurions on debut
1. Lala Amarnath 118 Vs England (1933)
2. Deepak Shodhan 110 Vs Pakistan (1952)
3. Kripal Singh 100 Vs New Zealand (1955)
4. Abbas Ali Baig 112 Vs England (1959)
5. Hanumant Singh 105 Vs England (1964)
6. GR Viswanath 137 Australia (1969)
7. Surinder Amarnath 124 Vs New Zealand (1976)
8. Mohammad Azharuddin 110 Vs England (1984)
9. Pravin Amre 103 Vs South Africa (1992)
10. Sourav Ganguly 131 Vs England (1996)
11. Virender Sehwag 105 Vs South Africa (2001)
12. Suresh Raina 120 Vs Sri Lanka (2010)
13. Shikar Dhawan 187 Vs Australia (2013)
14. Rohit Sharma 127* Vs West Indies (2013)