India first visited South Africa in 1992 and since then they have played five Test series and never managed to win a series.
In last visit in 2010-11, the three-match series was drawn 1-1.
This time, India will play two Tests in Johannesburg (December 18-22) and Durban (December 26-30).
Here are 10 facts about India-South Africa Test series
1. This is India's first Test series in 24 years without their iconic batsman Sachin Tendulkar, who retired last month
2. India has never won a Test series in South Africa. They first came here in 1992 under the captaincy of Mohammad Azharuddin
3. India have played 5 Test series in South Africa since 1992. Of the 5, India lost 4 and managed to draw the other
4. Zaheer Khan needs 5 to complete 300 Test wickets. He is the most experienced Test cricketer in current India squad with 88 caps
5. India's first Test series in South Africa (1992-93) ended 1-0 in favour of the home team. It was a four-match rubber
6. After 1992-93, India visited the Rainbow Nation in 1996-97, 2001-02, 2006-07 and 2010-11
7. MS Dhoni will break Sourav Ganguly's record for most matches as India captain when he leads the team in the first Test. Currently both are tied at 49 matches each
8. Tendulkar is the leading run scorer in India-South Africa Tests with 1,741 runs in 25 matches
9. Ani Kumble, with 84 victims, is the leader with most wickets in India-SA Tests
10. 12 of Indian's 17-member squad, have never played a Test in South Africa. They are - Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, Wriddhiman Saha, Pragyan Ojha, Mohammed Shami and Bhuvneshwar Kumar. The five to have had Test experience in SA are - Dhoni, Murali Vijay, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer and Cheteshwar Pujara